Monday, September 8, 2008

Tearing It Up From the Pulpit

In preparation for the 40 Days of Love campaign, I am sitting down with my small group tonight and asking them to do some homework alongside me. Before we take this love to the streets I want to move from a place of strength, and unfortunately these weak and frail bodies are all we got. So in an effort to secure the fence before we move forward, I'm starting a preliminary campaign using my Boy Scout Badges as the guiding factors (Personal Management and Personal Fitness mostly). We often have this ultimate goal and plan for our lives, but when asked what it is we often give the "right" answer, "To bless God and love Him." To me this is so ambiguous, and it allows for our vision to become clouded. God wouldn't just plop us on this earth without a distinct plan that He would explain to us. This is not to say I went into my backyard one day and the bush was on fire and it told me the blueprint for my life, this IS to say, I have been given certain things I'm privy towards (for me: Filmmaking, scriptwriting, lesson plans) I'm not GREAT at these because I don't practice them, I let lesser priorities rule over me so much more often. Those lesser priorities can be controlled when we organize and properly manage our lives- once this is conquered, we will find it easier to step out in faith and thus increase in our love of God and others.
For me, I need to get control over my spending on food, a set allotment for fast food, and for groceries and I cannot exceed those amounts. Also setting realistic goals for finishing books, finishing editing projects, and also stopping this stupid idea that if I wait and think about a script or a movie longer it will be better. This is war, I need to start shooting back, and not worrying I'll be out of bullets later on- God will provide (haven't you played video games? Just destroy the boxes and you'll find some).

Basically: gain control of your life and then when the campaigns come, we will be focused and dedicated to the mission, and not our own pursuits.

1 comment:

PurposeDrivenPosterChild said...

Like the typical post-modern kids we've all become, reactants I've had to speaking to people on the street bring up this point that I will clarify: I'm not saying God won't use you if you don't have all your "ducks in a row" I AM saying, He'll use you for greater things when you do have them in a row and are not pre-occupied with them- that's basic parable of the talents boys and girls- you know taking ALL parts of the bible seriously, you ever think about it?
"We don't do great things now, because we didn't take the time to do good things in the past."